Have you heard how “Leaders are readers…”? I whole heartily believe this. This is in part why I have created this blog over the ABC’s (Apps, Books, and Coaching) that have worked for me and others to become productive leaders.
ACCESS and APPETITE
You need to develop an appetite for life-long learning by using the ABC’s. In today’s world with all of our great technology like the internet, e-books, and blogs on every imaginable topic under the sun, and all of this just a click away with the device all of us hold in our hands from phones, tablets, and laptops, there is truly no excuse to not read.
BENEFITS OF READING
Thinking you don’t have time to read, think about this:
Reading just an hour a day adds years of experience and research to your life. You actually gain time by reading. The time you would have spent doing something possibly the most unproductive way. Most reading of books, for example, you are gaining the years of trial and error that the author went through to come up with the conclusions that made up the book that you are reading. Lessons are learned best from experience and that experience doesn’t always have to be just yours.
And that just scratches the surface at the benefits of reading.
- Reading expands our minds.
- Reading provides access to mentors who may not be with us anymore.
- Reading allows you to travel places you may never get to go to otherwise.
- Reading ignites our passion as we get to link dreams with others.
- Reading frees us to learn about anything our hearts desire.
- Reading clarifies our thinking as we connect with someone who has traveled further.
- Reading fuels our creativity as we are challenged by someone taking one of our thoughts further.
- Reading helps us lead more effectively and efficiently.
WHERE TO START
If you aren’t in the habit of regular daily reading, I suggest you take out your calendar and make an appointment with yourself and a good book or e-book every day. Start your day or end your day this way, it doesn’t matter as long as you do it.
Allow me to say that one book that I would recommend that everyone make sure you are reading every day is the Bible. There is a reason that this book has appeared on the best selling list for years.
Sir Francis Bacon’s advice on reading says it best:
“Some books are to be tested, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.”
Now go and start your reading.